Try a More Natural Cleansing, Rinsing and Conditioning Routine
As more of us are becoming aware that we are responsible for our own health – we are also beginning to understand the importance of the personal choices we make every day. Whether it is the foods we choose to eat or the products we use on our bodies – we know that the more natural it is – the better it is for our overall health and well-being.
So – let’s talk about our hair and how we can help our “crowning glory” look its best by the choice of products we use. We all want our hair to look healthy - be stronger, thicker and have more shine. And for the best results we should be using gentle organic shampoos and conditioners.
Over use of chemical-based hair products can strip the natural oils from your scalp and hair. The scalp can become itchy and sensitive and the hair can become dry and brittle – and this continuous assault on our locks can damage the long-term health and condition of our hair and scalp. So if you are experiencing skin irritation, allergic reactions, thinning or even hair loss - opt for natural organic products that are actually beneficial for the condition of your hair and scalp in the long run.
Organic and natural plant-based botanical shampoos and conditioners may be a little more expensive than your usual brand – but once you see the improvement in the condition of your hair – you will never go back to your old products. To find the best organic products for your hair type – do your research. Visit your health food stores and talk to the staff and ask what they recommend. And only buy products with ingredients you recognize and can pronounce!
- Look for “sulphate-free” shampoo for hair that is highlighted or color-treated – sulphates will strip the color causing it to fade quicker.
- For hydration - look for shea butter or natural oils such as olive, coconut and argan.
- To relieve itching, inflammation, dryness or dandruff – look for tea tree oil, calendula and green tea to help soothe and keep your follicles healthy.
- To build volume on thin and fine hair - look for biotin, keratin, collagen, vitamin E, wheat protein, chamomile, rosemary and bergamot.
And the more frequently you use these products - the better your hair will look and feel. And not only are these products healthier for you and your family – they are also biodegradable and do not pollute and damage our environment as they are rinsed away down the drain.
Here are some additional tips that work for us – and we hope will help you have lovely healthy hair!
- Please do not wash your hair every day! Try and go a few days between cleaning and styling your hair.
- Always use cool or warm water – never hot! And do not be too aggressive – treat your hair and scalp gently!!
- Always wash your hair twice – first shampoo removes surface dirt and oils and then the second shampoo should sit on your hair and scalp for a few minutes so it can get to work and do what the label says – thicken, hydrate, moisturize, heal, etc.
- Keep your styling products off your scalp!
- Let your hair air-dry for as long as possible - and only use your blow dryers and styling tools on the lowest heat settings.
- If you use an expensive Clarifying shampoo once a month to deep clean your hair to remove product build up – save your money.
* To gently clarify your scalp and hair – just add ½ teaspoon of natural Baking Soda to your 2nd shampoo wash. Mix it in with your shampoo in your hands and then apply to your hair and scalp and let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing out.
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother(ACV) is great for your hair and scalp! If you haven’t tried this yet – now is the time. It helps restore the PH balance of your scalp and also flattens and closes the hair cuticle. This will make your hair shinier, smoother and easier to de-tangle and your hair will be less frizzy, more moisturized and less prone to breakage. It is also anti-inflammatory and can help with scalp issues like hair loss and dandruff.
* After double shampoo routine - add 1 tablespoon of organic ACV to one cup of cool water (use plastic container – no glass in the shower stall!) Pour onto your scalp and hair and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly and apply your conditioner as the final step.
Simply put – products that are based on chemicals are unhealthy – and natural organic products are healthy. Why would use products that contain dangerous chemicals on your hair and body when you could use organic? If you want gorgeous healthier hair – now is the time to explore the world of natural and organic plant-based botanical products!!
And if you have any of your own tips or recommendations using natural ingredients that you would like to share with us - so we can share with our readers – please email to YinYogaLifestylePR@gmail.com